Slow Cooker Eggplant Parmesan
- 4 pounds of eggplant
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1 1/2 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
- 3 ounces Parmesan cheese or vegan Parmesan
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning.
- 4 cups marinara sauce
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced or shredded Daiya
1. Peel eggplant and cut into 1/3 inch rounds. Layer in a colander, sprinkling each layer with salt. Allow to sit for 30 minutes and then pat dry. (If you aren’t a fan of sale, you can rinse and pat.)
2. Spread 1/2 cup of sauce in the bottom of the slow cooker.
3. Whisk together the eggs and milk in a shallow bowl. Stir together breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning in a separate bowl. Dip eggplant in egg mixture and then in the breadcrumbs. Layer 1/3 of slices in the slower cooker. Top with 1 cup sauce and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers two more times. Cook on low for eight hours. ( I have found that cooking for 6 hours and putting the mozzarella on the top after cooking is best).